Table of Contents
The month of December and the first fortnight of January are two of the most important months of the year for the transportation of goods. During this period, a series of events occur that generate high demand for transport services, posing a challenge for companies in the sector.
In this article, we will analyze the main factors that influence the critical dates for the transportation of goods during December and January, and the measures we can take to successfully face them.
The event calendar for December and January is as follows:
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday: These two events, which are held on the fourth Friday and the following Monday after Thanksgiving in the United States, have become increasingly important in Spain and other European countries. During these days, stores offer discounts and special promotions, leading to a significant increase in sales, which in recent years not only occurs on one day but can span from a day to a whole week.
- Festivities of the Immaculate Conception: The 8th of December is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, a public holiday in Spain and other Catholic countries. On this day, many people take the opportunity to do their Christmas shopping.
- Preparation for Christmas: In the weeks leading up to Christmas, stores intensify their activities to prepare for the holidays. This generates an increase in demand for transportation services for the supply of goods to sales points.
- Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve: Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve are two of the most important nights of the year in Spain and other European countries. On these nights, many people celebrate with their family and friends, which leads to an increased demand for food and beverages. These dates are critical for our food logistics service. Retailers and other clients need products to be delivered on time and in good condition so that they can meet their customers’ demands.
- Kings’ Day: January 6th is Kings’ Day, a very important date for Spanish children. On this date, the Three Wise Men bring gifts to children who have behaved well during the year. This leads to an increased demand for toys and other children’s products. Logistics companies, like Antonio Marco, must be prepared to handle this surge in demand. This involves having an adequate fleet of vehicles, as well as experienced and qualified staff.
Customer Stock Breakages
One of the main problems we face as transportation companies during these dates is the stock breakages of our clients.
When a client does not have the product they need in stock, they must turn to an alternative supplier. If the alternative supplier cannot deliver the product on time, the client may lose sales and customers.
Transportation companies can help their clients avoid stock breakages by adopting the following measures:
- Providing up-to-date information on product availability.
- Offering flexible delivery times.
- Offering urgent transport services.
The urgency of a lack of product in the European market can lead to an increase in urgent orders. We must be prepared to handle these types of orders, which usually have very tight delivery deadlines.
To meet the delivery deadlines of urgent orders, we can adopt the following measures:
- Optimizing transport routes.
- Hiring additional staff to meet the increased demand.
Critical Months for Service in Retailers’ Shelves or Other Clients
December and January are critical months for service in the shelves of retailers and other clients. During this period, at Antonio Marco, we ensure that products reach their destination on time and in good condition.
If delivery deadlines are not met or if products arrive damaged, we can lose clients and reputation.
To ensure good service in the shelves, we must adopt the following measures:
- Having a team of experienced professionals.
- Using high-quality transportation equipment and systems.
- Having a contingency plan for unforeseen events.
In short, December and January are two very important months for the transportation of goods. During this period, we must be prepared to face a series of challenges, such as stock breakages of clients, rapid shipments, and the need to guarantee good service on the shelves.
Thanks to all the measures and points to be considered, Antonio Marco is prepared to face the challenges of the holiday dates and guarantee quality service to its customers.
We have extensive experience in the transportation and food logistics sector. Offering a comprehensive service that includes collection, transportation, storage, and distribution of food and beverages among other products.